Positive Vitality’s Crunchy Green Salad with Creamy Dressing is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, paleo, ketogenic and raw
- (4 portions)
- 200g Green Salad Leaves (spinach, arugula, watercress, mustard greens, pak choi, etc)
- 1 Carrot
- handful Sauerkraut, drained
- pinch Himalayan Saly
- pinch Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Chilly flakes
- squeeze of Lemon
- 80ml Camelina Oil, cold pressed (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 Tbsp Mayo*
*I made my own Mayo, recipe here
- Wash and dry your leaves, roughly chop it. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Using the vegetable peeler, peel the carrot skin and then continue peeling into a carrot shaves you will add to the salad. Alternatively, use the mandoline to get a tin carrot shaves. Place the carrot shaves together with the leaves.
- Chop your sauerkraut and also place in the bowl.
- Make the dressing using the camelina oil, mayo, lemon and spices by stirring vigorously until well combined.
- Gently combine the dressing with the salad.
Spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fibre, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. In other word, it’s loaded with good things for every part of your body!
Abundant flavonoids in spinach act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidising and protect your body from free radicals, particularly in the colon. The folate in spinach is good for your healthy cardiovascular system, and magnesium helps lower high blood pressure. Studies also have shown that spinach helps maintain your vigorous brain function, memory and mental clarity.
Sauerkraut contains high levels of dietary fibre, as well as significant levels of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and various B vitamins. Furthermore, it is a good source of iron, manganese, copper, sodium, magnesium, and calcium, in addition to contributing a moderate amount of protein to your diet.
Sauerkraut increase your digestive health, boost your circulation, protect your heart health, provide you with quick energy, stimulate your immune system, strengthen your bones, reduce your overall cholesterol levels, eliminate inflammation, protect against certain cancer, and even improve your vision and skin health.
Camelina oil has been found to contain high amounts of omega – 3 fatty acids, like flaxseed oil, which make it suitable for use as a nutritional supplement and a general purpose oil.
Camelina oil has various therapeutic and healing properties:
•Antioxidant – Camelina oil is a strong antioxidant because of the high Vitamin E content.
•Emollient – It moisturizes the skin.
•Anti-Inflammatory – It strongly inhibits inflammation both topically and when used internally.
•Anti-arthritic – Because of its high omega – 3 content, it can be used to alleviate pain in arthritis.
•Hair Conditioner – It can be used as a hot oil treatment for hair.
•Immune booster – Because of the high Vitamin E content, it boosts the immune system.
If you liked this recipe check out more Salad Recipes by Positive Vitality.